One of our favorite foods discovered in Ecuador is their Locro. Locro is a soup made with Ecuadorian potatoes which are yellow, cheese and fresh avocado. In Argentina we have a version of Locro but it is more like a stew, made with corn and meat instead of the Ecuadorian vegetarian version.
Here is a recipe which I adapted from Whats4Eats.com
- Oil or butter - 1/4 cup
- Onion, minced - 1/2
- Garlic, minced - 3-4 cloves
- Potatoes, peeled and diced - 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- Water or stock - 4 cups
- Milk - 1 cup
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Muenster, queso fresco or mozzarella cheese, cut into pieces or shredded - 1 cup
- Fresh avocado, peeled and sliced length-wise- 1 to 2
In the soup bowl place some of the cheese in the bottom of the bowl and ladle the soup on top.
Then arrange fresh cut slices of avocado on top.