Tuesday, January 1, 2013
Happy Twenty Thirteen !!!
Wow, another year and another opportunity to evolve and recreate ourselves, this time under the shine of thirteen. I'll be back with an end of the year report soon, in the meantime here are thirteen lines of interesting facts about the number thirteen:
1. Thirteen is a Fibonacci number, a happy number, and one of only three Wilson Prime numbers.
2. The moon travels 13 degrees around the earth every day. It takes 13 days for the moon to move from Full to New and 13 days to change back with 1 day Full and 1 day New to equal 28 days of a Lunar Cycle.
3. There are 13 loaves in a "Baker's Dozen".
4. There are 13 witches in a coven and 13 turns make a traditional hangman's noose.
5. A full chromatic musical octave contains 13 notes, by inclusive counting.
6. In the Mayan Tzolk'in calendar, trecenas mark cycles of 13 day periods. The pyramids are also set up in 9 steps divided into 7 days and 6 nights, 13 days total.
7. In a tarot card deck, XIII is the card of Death, usually picturing the Pale horse with its rider.
8. There are 13 Archimedean Solids.
9. The sacred cord of Druids has thirteen segments.
10. The Sumerians used a zodiac including 13 constellations and 26 main stars.
11. The thirteen gates of the Human body of the woman: 2 eyes, 2 ears, 2 nostrils, the mouth, 2 breasts, the navel, the anus, the urethra and the vagina.
12. The Chinese abacus consists of 13 columns of beads.
13. The 13 virtues, according to Benjamin Franklin
TEMPERANCE. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
SILENCE. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
ORDER. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
RESOLUTION. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
FRUGALITY. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.
INDUSTRY. Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
SINCERITY. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
JUSTICE. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
MODERATION. Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
CLEANLINESS. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.
TRANQUILLITY.Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
CHASTITY. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dulness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
HUMILITY. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.
Photograph by Roxana taken at Santa Monica Beach, CA.
These random facts were found on Wikipedia and Virtue Science.
Posted by Illuminated Perfume at 11:59 PM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Happy New Year to you Roxana!
Wishing you a lovely new year Roxana!! ;-)
Post a Comment