Have you read A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness? In the novel, her leading character Diana Bishop, has a technique of problem solving where she visualizes everything in separate parts and starts moving them around, sensing for a pattern in the chaos. This is exactly what I do when creating a fragrance and goes back to when I would create illustrations for magazines and newspapers.
- Devotional loyalty
- Keen protective instincts
- Protectors of treasure
- Nests containing gold and other references to gold
- Divine guardian
- Dualism, hybrid of bird+mammal
- Ancient beast
- Eagle (king of birds)
- Lion (king of beasts)
- Landscape: Deserts of the east, Mountain nest guarding gold, treasure or sacred object
- Deity —› Essences considered sacred: Frankincense, Myrrh
- Keen protective instincts —› Frankincense
- Majesty —› Frankincense, Resins
- Protection / Divine guardian —› Tree balsams & Resins
- Gold —› Frankincense, Gold
- Ancient beast /Animalic —› Labdanum
- Eagle (king of birds) + Lion (king of beasts): elemental air+earth —› Spice —› Saffron
- Sun: elemental fire —› Spice
- Landscape: Deserts of the east —› Resins
Since frankincense was a re-occurring theme in the list above, and contains an energetic component related to royalty and the Sun, I decided this golden resin was the perfect primary ingredient/scent ally to align with our deity. That led me to the idea using the infamous trio of frankincense, myrrh and gold.
Other common names: Pure incense, Olibanum, Oil of Lebanon
Botanical Family: Burseraceae
Planet: Sun / Element: Air and Fire
Keywords: Divinity, royalty, kingship, life, birth
For creating aromatherapy blends and the creation of plant fragrance, we five different species of Boswellia sacra currently available to us. I use the word "currently" because the precious resin, referred to as tears, are being over harvested, resulting in the decline of the shrubby trees.
Frankincense oil is one of those master healers that is great to have in all our tool kits, especially in times of great stress and anxiety by assisting with stilling the mind. These attributes relate well to our mighty Gryphon being a strong and loyal protector.
- Olive Leaf
- Dragons Blood Resin
Opening image: Roger délivrant Angélique by Louis Édouard Rioult, 1824
Graphics and photo ©RoxanaVilla