Welcome to the 1st Etsy Artist Feature and Giveaway of the year 2010! The talented and heart felt visual artist Greg Spalenka graces us with his glorious, inspiring imagery. Greg is the visual artist behind the Etsy shop Spalenka.
Maestro Gregorio, as we have refer to him at this journal, graduated from Art Center College of Design in 1982. Shortly there after he moved to New York City to launch his impressive career as one of the leading conceptual illustrators of the era. Throughout his extensive career illustrating for such publications as Time, Newsweek, Rolling Stone and the NFL. he has garnered numerous awards. Displayed at his studio in Los Angeles are gold and silver medals from the New York and LA Society of Illustrators as well as the Spectrum Annual of Fantastic Art. The scope of his artistic life also includes conceptual art for films such as the academy award winning, “The Golden Compass” and the upcoming third Narnia film, “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.”
Last year Greg opened two shops at Etsy, one for his elder illustration work which included his journalistic work with Mike Tyson and the Spalenka shop featuring "Fantasy and Visual Art from the Mind's Eye." The image that originally drew me to his work, even after being aware of his name in illustration circles, is Blessings. The original painting Blessings was created for a festival created by San Francisco organization called Open Hand.
Greg's work embodies elements of the old masters with his a devotion to the figure. The expertise as a draftsman and painter is highlighted by his use of collage, tape, texture and wild abandonment. See more of his technique at this and this Bouquet link on his website.
Lately Greg has been manifesting more than just beautiful imagery for print and film. He has decided to be of service to the larger community of artists with empowering workshops. Greg refers to ArtistAsBrand™ as an "Indie Art Revolution" with a lofty goal of creating empowered, self sufficient artist entrepreneurs.
I asked Greg a few questions so that you'll could get to know him a bit more. He was in the car driving to Laguna Beach to teach ArtistAsBrand™ as I asked him these questions via the phone.
1.) What is the one thing you find most inspiring to feed your creative spirit?
My goal is to channel the essence of the divine through my work and live in the art spirit.
2.) What is your favorite scent from the natural world?
Carnation absolute, essential oil of Ylang Ylang and Spice.
3.) If you were King of a village what would you wish for your kingdom?
The first thing that comes to mind is peace and prosperity.....and divine creativity,
4.) How did you find yourself making and teaching art?
For as long as I remember I have always had an interior cathedral in my head, a sacred space of infinite imagination. I am grateful to have had success as an illustrator and now empower others with what I have learned in the span of my career.
5) Tell us a secret?
Hmmm, a secret...hmmm...I'd like to receive an academy award!
Thank you Greg, it is an enormous delight to share your beautiful imagery with the readers of this journal. We will all be visualizing you receiving an academy award, can't wait! Get to know Greg a bit more and tap into his interior cathedral by visiting his art website and his new blog.
Now, for the giveaway....Greg has decided to give two things away, which means there will be two winners:
1. A Goddess Postcard set from his Etsy shop, winner chooses set #1 or #2.
2. A FREE pass to one of his ArtistAsBrand™ workshop during 2010 (a value $500 !!!)
This giveaway ends at 10pm PST on Sunday, January 31st.
To qualify to win one of these prizes, please....
Begin by visiting the Spalenka shop on Etsy and sharing in your comment what item you most crave from his shop. You must include your first name -or- etsy username AND email address with each entry or it will not be included.
For additional entries you can do any or all of the following, please leave a separate comment for each entry.
- 1 entry: Be or become a follower of the ArtistAsBrand web log
- 1 entry per day of the contest: Twitter this message: RT @RoxanaVilla is hosting a giveaway with Greg Spalenka! Visit http://journal.illuminatedperfume.com for a chance to win
- 2 entries (total) - Blog about this giveaway, leaving the URL to the post in comments (1 blog per entrant, please)
- 1 entry: Be or become a follower of the Greg at ArtistAsBrand on Twitter
- 1 entry: Be or become a follower of the Greg at ArtistAsBrand on Facebook
- 1 entry: Be or become a follower of this journal: IlluminatedPerfume
1. If we cannot contact you we will give your prize away to someone else.
2. The featured seller will do their very best to mail the winners package in a timely manner, please contact them directly if you have any questions.
3. Depending how many entries I receive I determine how the winner shall be chosen. Normally each entry is assigned a card from several decks here at the house, I then shuffle all the cards and have someone handy (like my daughter) choose a card for the winner and a runner up.
4. If you have won the Artist Feature and Giveaway in the past you may enter again.
5. Please don't make up any new guidelines, what is outlined above is what we follow.
Good Luck everyone!!